Top 5 Things to Know for the Winter Commencement Ceremony
- Doors open at 8:00 a.m., graduates are asked to be seated by 9:40 a.m. Graduates should enter the Kohl Center arena at Gate A (W. Dayton St. entrance). Candidate seating is arranged by school, college or degree type. A graduate seating map will be provided closer to commencement! Commencement Marshals wearing cardinal red academic attire will be available to assist you with seating. Degree candidates with faculty escorts should ask their faculty escort to sit on their right. Please note the ceremony typically lasts approximately 2.5 hours. A livestream of the ceremony will be available here on YouTube.
- Guests, family members and friends are welcome to attend. There is no ticketing for attendance and seating is general admission, first come, first served. Anyone needing accommodations should meet with Guest Services at Gate A for assistance. If you are a graduate in need of accommodations please email email@example.com.
- Graduate names will be read as candidates cross the stage. A name card will be located on your chair when you arrive, and we ask that you print your name phonetically, how you would like it pronounced, so that our name readers are accurate. A graduate seating map will be shared closer to the ceremony.
- Each graduate will receive a diploma folder from their dean as they cross the stage. We request that you please refrain from giving handshakes at this time. Diplomas will be mailed out to graduates 6-8 weeks after grades are entered. Please be sure to update your home address in MyUW for where your diploma will be mailed to.
- No guests, including children (with the exception of nursing mothers) are permitted in the candidate seating area. No food or beverages of any kind are permitted. Please review the carry-in policy as well as the metal detector procedures to plan accordingly. Flowers are allowed inside the Kohl Center, however glass containers, balloons, backpacks and wrapped gifts are not allowed.
For more information, visit the Winter Commencement page.
Degree Conferral Information
Students in the last semester of their degree program will need to prepare for graduation. The following information will provide students with steps they need complete prior to their degree confirmation.
Getting Your Degree:
- All students apply to graduate through the MyUW Student Center: http://registrar.wisc.edu/apply_to_graduate.htm
- DNP students submit DNP Program Petition to Graduate
- PhD students submit PhD Final Warrant Request
- Diplomas are mailed to address on file 2-4 months after graduation
- Students must apply to graduate and can do so through their MY UW Student Center. Additional information is available on the Office of the Registrar web site.
- Check DARS Report to make sure all degree requirements have been met. Students should contact their adviser if they have questions.
- Degree Confer date will appear on a Student’s official transcript approximately three to four weeks after graduation.
DNP & PhD Students
Graduation Eligibility Requirements
- Enrolled for a minimum of 2 credits during final semester
- 3.0 GPA
- No Incomplete grades
- All degree requirements met
Graduate students should contact Mariah Allen, Graduate Academic Services Coordinator, with any questions about eligibility.