National Council Licensure Examination
- Passing demonstrates that you have the minimal level of knowledge or competency
- A legal requirement
- Allows you to be registered as a professional nurse
- Is a CAT exam – Computerized Adaptive Test
- 6 hours to complete
- NCLEX tutorial
- NCLEX examination items
- Two preprogrammed optional breaks
The process to take the NCLEX begins with three steps:
- Register for the NCLEX with Pearson VUE (about 6 weeks prior to graduation). Education Program code for UW-Madison BSN program is US50509500.
- Submit an application for licensure to the board of nursing where you wish to be licensed (about 6 weeks prior to graduation). This is in order to be made eligible to take the NCLEX. A board of nursing may require an official transcript, a form be filled out by the School of Nursing, or both. Official UW-Madison transcripts may be requested here. Be sure to meet the board of nursing’s application deadline.
- Once your degree is certified by the board of nursing, they will notify Pearson Vue that you are eligible to sit for the NCLEX. Pearson Vue will then email you your Authorization to Test (ATT). After you’ve gotten your ATT, you may schedule your test date for the NCLEX.
Preparing for the NCLEX
Nursing Learning Center (NLC)
Provides periodic NCLEX review sessions. For more information, check out the Nursing Learning Center page.
Features over 1,300 NCLEX-style questions including a pretest, 8 Lesson post-tests, practice question banks, community blogs, test-taking tips, and more.
3 Week Study Plan ($50)
5 Week Study Plan ($70)
8 Week Study Plan ($100)
15 Week Study Plan ($160)
UWorld provides study plans, flash cards, customizable exams and performance analysis. UWorld is easily accessible on all smart devices (IOS, Android, Amazon).
30 Day Study Plan ($99)
60 Day Study Plan ($139)
90 Day Study Plan ($159)
180 Day Study Plan ($199)
365 Day Study Plan ($249)
730 Day Study Plan ($299)
SIMCLEX is an adaptive testing algorithm that simulates the NCLEX exam while providing unlimited practice. Available on smartphones, tablets and computers.
Lifetime access to SIMCLEX standalone application: $99
NRSNG Academy Package: $49 a month for 9 months
Nurse Plus Academy
Nurse Plus Academy offers a variety of practice questions covering all topics on the NCLEX.
HURST offers a variety of in-person and online review packages.
HURST Live ($425): 3-day live review including online resources. 100% money back guarantee or access to intense, 45 day remediation program.
HURST Now ($325): Self-paced online review. 90 Day unlimited access to Hurst’s MUST KNOW core content and NCLEX® specific testing strategies. 100% money back guarantee or access to intense, 45 day remediation program.
HURST N-Stream ($425): 4-day “live” online format (5 hours daily) focusing on MUST KNOW core content and NCLEX® specific testing strategies.
Specialty Stream ($50): Interactive one-day session on specialty topics streamed to your home.
Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) Testing
The Virtual-ATI NCLEX-RN Review provides 12-week access to an online classroom that begins 30 days prior to graduation, is available 24/7 and includes more than 400 on-demand resources via the mobile-friendly, online classroom. Graduates will receive a Green Light from their Virtual-ATI coach when they’re ready to pass NCLEX. If a graduate receives the Virtual-ATI Green Light, tests for NCLEX within 3 weeks, and fails NCLEX, an additional 12-week access will be offered at no additional cost.
For questions and further information, please call 800.667.7531.
- Free Resources