Veterans Affairs (VA) has a Health Professional Scholarship Program (HPSP) which provides financial assistance to students receiving education or training in a health-care services discipline such as nursing. This year, (October 2022 – September 2023) scholarships will be offered in the following areas:
- Nursing- BSN and MSN (Mental Health only)
- Eligible applicants must be enrolled in, or accepted for enrollment in, an academic program located in the United States that prepares graduates to meet the VA qualification standards for employment in the occupations listed above.
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States and pass a background investigation
- Tuition and Fees – The HPSP award pays a participant’s school tuition and approved fees through direct payment to the school. Required/Mandatory Fees are defined as those fees assessed by the college or university to all students in the academic program for which the scholarship was awarded. General Guideline: If the fee is optional, the fee is not required by all participants in the plan of study, or if the student at any time can opt out of the fee, they do not qualify for reimbursement.
- Stipends – HPSP will pay a monthly stipend directly to the participants. The payment is made for each month a participant is enrolled in coursework, beginning with the first month of the school year. The 2021 stipend amount is $1,153 per month. If the participant is a full-time student, the stipend continues through the summer months, provided the participant has not yet completed the participant’s degree requirements and is enrolled in course work. The stipend payment is discontinued the month of a participant’s degree completion.
- The HPSP Scholarship Portal is open year-round. Applications will be evaluated, and selections made throughout the scholarship cycle. Follow the link and click the “APPLY HERE” button at the top of the page to start the application process. If you have questions, contact HPSPTeam@va.gov
See additional information at HPSP – Veterans Affairs (intelliworxit.com)
This post was authored by Academic Affairs on 10/25/2022.