The Greater University Tutoring Service (GUTS) is hiring Academic Peer Tutors for the Academic Match (AM) Program for the Spring 2022 semester! We are hiring tutors in various Chemistry, Math, Economics, Physics, Biology, Statistics, and Psychology courses. In the AM program, one tutor meets with a small group of tutees (3-8 tutees in each group) for 2 hours/week throughout the semester. Tutors will be responsible for meeting with 1-2 small groups and should plan to work 3.5-7 hours/week.
The application is open until Thursday, January 6 @ 11:59 PM, so please check out the position description/information and application instructions below and share with students you work with.
Hiring Academic Peer Tutors!
Greater University Tutoring Service (GUTS), Academic Match Program
Apply by Thursday, January 6 @ 11:59 PM to ensure consideration
Organization Summary: The Greater University Tutoring Service (GUTS) is a registered student organization (RSO) that facilitates peer tutoring and enrichment programs, including tutoring for academic courses, facilitation of language and cultural exchange partnerships and events, and general study skills consultations and workshops.
As the largest and most approachable tutoring unit on campus, GUTS serves over 2,000 students each semester. Current programming areas include Conversational English, Drop-In tutoring, Academic Match tutoring, World Language Learners, and Study Skills programs. GUTS is supported by the Center for First-Year Experience (CFYE). For more information, visit http://guts.wisc.edu/.
Position Description: The Academic Match Program is a small-group tutoring program within GUTS. Tutors with the Academic Match Program will tutor 1-2 small groups for 1 or more high-enrollment courses at UW-Madison. Tutors meet with their student group(s) once per week for 2 hours each meeting for about 12-13 weeks of the Spring 2021 semester. Tutors should plan to spend an additional 1 hour/week to prep for tutoring session(s). This position is paid $11.00/hour and works 3.5-7 hours weekly, depending on if the tutor works with 1 or 2 student groups.
The Greater University Tutoring Service (GUTS) at UW-Madison is hiring academic tutors to tutor students in a small group tutoring format for the following classes in the 2021-2022 academic year. Strong candidates can support multiple courses in this list:
- Chemistry 103 & 104 or 343 & 345
- Math 211, 221, 222
- Economics 101, 102, 301, 302
- Biology/Zoology 101, 151, 152
- Physics 103 & 104 or 207 & 208
- Statistics 301 & 371
- Psychology 202 & 405
Note about Spring 2022 modality: We anticipate that most tutoring services will be held in person during Spring 2022.
Overview of the GUTS Academic Peer Tutor Position:
GUTS Academic Peer Tutors with Academic Match facilitate their peers’ learning through weekly, small-group tutoring sessions in one or more courses while obtaining the following benefits:
- Salary/Wage: $11.50/ hour – prep time is also paid
- Development of leadership, communication skills, and problem-solving skills
- Tutoring, teaching, and mentorship experience
- Program orientation and tutor training
- Engage with peers and provide learning support to the UW community
Requirements and Qualifications:
GUTS Academic Match Tutors must meet the following requirements to qualify for this opportunity:
- Must be located in the United States. (International students are welcome to apply, but we cannot hire students who are residing in another country)
- Must have earned at least an AB in the course and/or equivalent course(s) you wish to support
- Teaching or tutoring experience desired
- Overall GPA of at least 3.25 (3.5 GPA + Preferred)
- Interest in working with students from various backgrounds
Position Summary/Job Description
- Work in group tutoring setting with groups of 3-8 students
- Create a welcoming and inclusive learning environment
- Work under the supervision of the GUTS Senior Coordinators and Coordinator of Academic Support Services and work with GUTS Academic Match Coordinators
- Maintain regular hours with the program–preference is given to those who have availability during the following hours (strong candidates will have various availability within these timeframes) :
- Sunday availability
- Monday availability
- Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, 3PM – 9PM
Interviews will ONLY be held ONLINE on the following dates: January 10-14
Application Process: Please apply at https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_02hlAGnaz2ypMuW by Thursday, January 6 @ 11:59 PM.
The application linked above requires:
- Some personal information (example: name, school ID, major, etc.)
- Response to two short-answer questions
- One academic or professional reference (provide name, position title, email, and phone number).
Contact Elizabeth Baldridge, Coordinator of Academic Support Services at email@example.com with questions.
This post was authored by Academic Affairs on 12/16/2021.